Monday, November 11, 2013

Swami Vivekananda on Teacher


The sannyasins do not possess property, and they do not marry. Beyond that there is no organization. The only bond that is there is the bond between the teacher and the taught—and that is peculiar to India. The teacher is not a man who comes just to teach me, and I pay him so much, and there it ends. In India it is really like an adoption. The teacher is more than my own father, and I am truly his child, his son in every respect. I owe him obedience and reverence first, before my own father even; because, they say, the father gave me this body, but he showed me the way to salvation, he is greater than father. And we carry this love, this respect for our teacher all our lives.
-Swami Vivekananda on the nature of Hindu monasticism, in 1900, at the Shakespeare Club of Padasena in California

No comments:

First Indian Bicycle Lock_Godrej_1962_याद आया स्वदेशी साइकिल लाॅक_नलिन चौहान

कोविद-19 ने पूरी दुनिया को हिलाकर रख दिया है। इसका असर जीवन के हर पहलू पर पड़ा है। इस महामारी ने आवागमन के बुनियादी ढांचे को लेकर भी नए सिरे ...